Thank you for your interest in reading about our plans to preserve Orwell Park’s history and develop sustainable facilities for generations to come. A donation to the Orwell Park School Foundation has a big impact on Orwell Park’s work of providing top quality educational facilities for generations to come. You can also read the Strategic Development Plan.
Our current priorities are detailed below. Looking for information about leaving us a gift in your Will? Click here.
This year, we are particularly looking to grow our first generation of regular donors. If this could be you, please consider making a gift today or email email@example.com to learn more. However much you’re able to donate, your support changes the lives of young people. Thank you.
All donations made in this way go to the Orwell Park School Foundation (reg. charity 1070488) which facilitates the advancement of education by providing support to Orwell Park School Educational Trust Limited, financing projects which the Educational Trust would not be able to afford from fee income alone. Read more about the Foundation.
Bursaries: The gift of opportunity
“The school is extremely successful in fulfilling its aims of providing an academically challenging and fulfilling all-round education.” (ISI inspection)
We have already invested greatly to improve the facilities including recent renovations to the boarding houses. We are now looking for supporters to fund our generous bursary programme, and every donation has an impact. Make a gift today
- £3,000 supports one student for a term of their education in our Pre-Prep School
- £6,000 supports one student for a term of their education in our Prep School
- £9,000 supports one student in boarding for a term of their education in our Prep School
“Boarding has been very busy, which is just how we like it. Violet and Rose have been re-decorated, the girls’ phone has a new location, and Fir has been wholly refurbished with all new furniture. With an excess of 500 ‘sleeps’ per week, there is a positive and lively atmosphere each evening and morning, and it is very rewarding to see pupils develop independence, self-reliance and personal organisation, as well making friends throughout the year groups, and developing leadership skills.” (Martin O’Brien, Head of Boarding)
The Observatory: A vital conservation project
Orwell Park’s Grade II listed Observatory is in great need of repair. Ongoing issues include loose, missing and spoiled stone work; open mortar joints; growth on brickwork; wet rot fungus; aging plumbing leading to leaks; and damaged window frames. There are approximately 60 stone repairs or replacements to be made, 100 brick replacements, and approximately 55 metres of open brickwork joints to be repaired. Initially, we plan to:
- Repair and realign cracked and damaged lintel
- Cut out loose materials to fill with restoration mortar and York stone to restore the original profile and stonework
- Cut back defective brickwork, apply a bonding agent to stabilise the materials, and restore the original profile
Our hope is to fully restore the Observatory such that young children from across the local area can access the Tomline Telescope and experience the joy of stargazing that Old Orwellians remember so fondly.
It would be extremely sad to see the Observatory deteriorate further, and we are grateful for any donations to support this vital conservation project. The planned repair work will cost in excess of £250,000 and your donations are greatly valued. Make a donation
“Without doubt, it needs a special protected status, For quite simply, it is a unique surviving national scientific treasure.” (Allan Chapman M.A. D.Phil. D.Sc. D.Univ. F.R.A.S, President of the Society for the History of Astronomy and Author of The Victorian Amateur Astronomer and His Telescope).
Indoor Swimming Pool: Year-round facilities for all
“Sports teams achieve high levels of success locally and nationally in a wide range of sports.” (ISI inspection)
An indoor swimming pool would allow children to enjoy swimming lessons on site from an early age, all year round. More secure facilities, that are easier to maintain, would support our dream of teaching all children to swim in the comfort of our own facilities. Young sportsmen and women from Orwell Park already achieve a considerable measure of success outside school, gaining scholarships to top senior schools and playing at county, regional and national level, and we would love to extend this success to the field of swimming.
Covering our existing pool would cost £500,000. We would love to hear your thoughts as we plan this exciting project, and encourage anyone who is interested in making a donation to get in touch with Development & Alumni Relations Manager Amy Carbonero to discuss your contribution to this exciting work. You can also make a gift today.
Performing Arts Centre: A sustainable future
“A stimulating extra-curricular programme enhances the richness of school life for all pupils.” (ISI inspection)
A Performing Arts Centre would cement Orwell Park’s status as a centre of all-round educational excellence, and would further enable us to diversify our income streams to be as sustainable a school as we can be. The Performing Arts Centre would include:
- A main performance area where students can discover and develop their confidence and talents, furthering our work of fostering confident, courageous young leaders
- New storage and technical areas to house state-of-the-art equipment
- Redeveloped music practice rooms so that every child can experience the joy of learning music in a fit-for-purpose, edifying environment
- A bespoke reception area to welcome visitors and to provide Box Office facilities for internal and external events
- Seating for 350 and a hospitality area for refreshments and teas, creating a comfortable and welcoming environment for parents and visitors
- The appointment of a Creative Arts Technician to oversee the management and operation of the Centre
We expect the cost of these facilities to be in the region of £4.5m. Please get in touch with Development & Alumni Relations Manager Amy Carbonero if you would like to discuss contributing to this exciting work. You can also make a gift today.